Quilt happy

16 May

I write this fresh from waging war on the slugs and snails in my garden. I’d love to say that I was the victor but, despite having deposited a full ice cream tub of the slippery critters into the skip at the end of my road, I fear their guerilla warfare tactics will give them the upper hand again by the end of the day…

(I know, I know, the skip owner doesn’t want slugs and snails in there, but I can never bring myself to actually kill them…)

In completely unrelated news, (note to self, really should try harder to link blog posts together into a cohesive article) I wanted to show you a few pictures of some quilting I got up to at the weekend.

Quilted baby burp cloth | Wolves in London

I love this cute retro fabric

After the success of my quilted teapot, I wanted to have a go at some slightly more freestyle quilting.

Before my sproglet was born, I made a burp cloth, following this really simple tutorial at Made by Rae. It’s a pretty handy item; backed with terry towelling it’s very absorbent, but it’s always bugged me a little that the two layers don’t stay together very well.

Quilted burp cloth | Wolves in London

Absorbent back, appealing front. Useful and attractive!

So, I thought I might have a crack at quilting them, vaguely following the outlines of the little rocket people all over the top fabric.

I’ve got to say, I was pretty pleased with the results.

Space boy quilting

In some places, I followed the outlines closely.

Quilted retro burp cloth

In others, I just nipped along wherever I fancied.

Quilted burp cloth

quilted rocket boy

I definitely think I’ll be doing more of this.

Now, sewing chat out of the way, if anyone wants to come on a snail hunt at 7am tomorrow morning, I know the perfect spot…

Related articles:

• Looking for other baby sewing projects? Look no further! Here are my baby bibs and carrot baby set.
  • Or if sewing’s not your thing, but you’re a dab hand with an iron, you could make your own Russian doll babygrow (or any other sort of babygrow you fancy, for that matter…)
About these ads

6 Responses to “Quilt happy”

1. Truly Myrtle May 16, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Such cute fabric!
    At least you scoop up the beasts. Mr Myrtle likes to leave their corpses on the path next to our garden so we can slide on them … yuck.

• Wolves in London May 16, 2013 at 11:09 am #

I think death and destruction is far more effective though. I’ve just realised that I’ve lost almost an entire flowerbed of bulbs to the scoundrels. Think I might have to persuade my Mr to head out with the salt tonight. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

• Truly Myrtle May 16, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Me Neither. I just chuck live ones over the fence. That’s not a good solution either.

2. lovelucie1 May 16, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Love your post title.

3. thelinencloud May 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Oooooh love the cute fabric … have you tried eggshells crushed around your plants or beer traps … cut the bottoms out of plastic milk cartons and dig a little hole to put them in … drop the carton in … fill with a beer of your choice and the little slugs and snails, seek it out, fall in and get drunk and happy … maybe more humane than the salt … Bee xx

• Wolves in London May 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Yes, I used to set beer traps, but they always got so full of dead slugs! Ha ha, I know that’s the point, of course, but there was something so vile about this little pot full of dead slugs and I never knew where to dispose of their bodies. Do you think you can put them on the compost heap???

Leave your comment here... (I love a comment!)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 236 other followers