A photo a day: August 14th

14 Aug
rhubarb syrup bottle

Gloriously pink

On holiday in Rye two weeks ago, we had supper one night at the Ship Inn.

Because we were on holiday, I treated myself to one of the delicious-sounding but outrageously expensive cocktails.*

After a long, serious study of the cocktail menu and a weighing up on the pros and cons of various appealing options, I settled for the rhubarb martini. And boy was I glad I did.

I absolutely love rhubarb, but had never before come across the genius idea of combining it with alcohol.

In a moment of pleasing synchronicity, a few days later I saw this rhubarb mojito recipe on the ever-wonderfully-written Decorator’s Notebook blog.

So, armed with some of the rhubarb that grows prolifically in my garden, I decided to make up some of the rhubarb syrup, so I could add it to gin, vodka or perhaps just some lemonade.

It’s the most fabulous colour, isn’t it? Here’s another picture of the whole bottle glinting away in the morning sunlight:

rhubarb cordial

The only difficulty will be rationing the bottle…

Joining in with the August Break.

*To be fair to the Ship Inn, it’s not that their cocktails are particularly expensive cocktails, rather that I can never quite get over spending £8 for one single drink, when I would never spend more than that on a whole bottle of wine from the supermarket.

Related articles:

About these ads

9 Responses to “A photo a day: August 14th”

1. Bethan - Decorator's Notebook August 14, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Great to see you made this – almost too pretty to drink!

• Wolves in London August 14, 2013 at 9:46 am #

I know, it really is glorious! But the temptation of a rhubarb gin fizz tonight will be too much to resist, I suspect…

2. Cheryl August 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

Not a rhubarb fan, but that pic of the full size bottle is yummy.

3. Bee (@thelinencloud) August 14, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Oh lush … I adore rhubarb too … this sounds too, too good … Bee xx

• Wolves in London August 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Oh Bee, I heartily recommend this rhubarb cake recipe too from Waitrose. That’s next on my list with the very last few stems of rhubarb from my garden.

4. Small Talk Mama August 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Beautiful! And what a great idea.

5. Allison @ Dream a Little BIGGER August 19, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

You know I’ve never had rhubarb and I’m not quite sure what it tastes like, but this looks so refreshing that I’m sure I’d love it! Thanks for linking up, too :)

Leave your comment here... (I love a comment!)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 269 other followers