For my photo today, I thought it was time to introduce you to the famous quilt. Well, to its constituent parts anyway.
I think I’ve mentioned a few times before that I am working on (ahem, really, failing to work on) a quilt for my sister and her husband. It was to be their Christmas present last year. Except my old sewing machine broke a week before Christmas and I had barely even started sewing the pieces together.
Okay, no problem, I showed them what I had done, they loved it, and I thought it would take me a matter of weeks to finish.
Then I decided that it was too small. So I ordered more of the stunning V&A quilts fabric. (Sounds like a quick thing to do, doesn’t it? In fact, that part of the whole venture took me about four months…)
By this point, the old sewing machine had given up the ghost and I’d got a lovely spanking new sewing machine.
Should be easy from now on in. Except… I couldn’t for the life of me work out how to create the same seam allowance that I’d done on the old machine. (I’m slightly embarrassed to tell you this, but I’d decided that the perfect way to make the seam allowance I wanted on the old machine was to sew the whole thing with the needle aligned to the right. Which created a very unstandard seam allowance. Ah well, you sew, you learn.)
I’ve been pondering this problem now for, oooh, probably about another three months and have finally decided, what the heck, I’m not about to undo everything I’ve done and start again, so the new rows will just have to not fit perfectly with the old ones, and I’ll trim down the edges where I need to. I’m sure my sister would rather have imperfect quilt sometime before next Christmas, than a perfect one in a decade.
But since it just might take me a little while to get to the end result, in the meantime, I thought I’d just show you this picture of the beautiful fabrics I’m working with.